Macrominerals play an important role in maintaining the health of musculoskeletal system, brain function, cardiovascular system, and reproductive function. They are found in the body in abundance. Macrominerals are those for which the daily requirement is more than 100mg. They include calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body. About 98% of the calcium is deposited in the bones, while remaining 2% is present in the intracellular fluids and soft tissues. Calcium plays a vital role in maintaining the health and strength of bones. It is required for the storage of important minerals in the bones. It assists in the secretion of hormones and helps prevent accumulation of too much acid in the body. It supports the process of blood clotting and affects muscle contraction, nerve transmission, neurotransmitters and muscle growth.
The rich dietary sources of calcium include broccoli, spinach, peas, kale, mustard greens, salmon, sardines, tofu, yoghurt, buttermilk, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, milk, baked beans, blackstrap molasses and sesame seeds.
A regular intake of calcium is recommended in ailments like backache, rickets, osteopenia, osteoporosis, arthritis, atherosclerosis, hypertension, constipation, cataracts, mental illness, insomnia, nail problems, acne and colon cancer. People suffering from these medical conditions are often advised to take a dietary supplement that contains calcium in its formulation.
Natures Aid Calcium 400mg (Chewable) is a popular brand on the market that promotes strong bones and healthy teeth. It makes a great gift for children, pregnant women and elderly. It is suitable for people who are allergic to milk and vegetarians.